Defra's Information Note: development of EU EoW criteria for biowaste
On 10th February 2012, Defra released an Information note that ‘sets out the current position on the development of EU end of waste criteria for biowaste’.
The information note is for anyone interested in the treatment of organic wastes and the use of products derived from organic wastes.
The European Commission's Joint Research Centre is developing proposals for EU end of waste criteria on 'biodegradable waste subject to biological treatment', having made its second working document available for consultation from late November 2011 until 11th January 2012.
The information note covers;
- current UK standards,
- progress to date [drafting proposals for EU EoW criteria, with highlights of technical details of concern regarding composts and digestates],
- indicative timetable [for further development and finalisation of EU EoW criteria],
- format of the end of waste criteria,
- recycling and end of waste,
- what happens next, and
- contacts for further information.
Published on AfOR's website: 10th February 2012.
Become a Member!
Join the Organics Recycling Group at the Renewable Energy Association by clicking below.