Compost Awareness Week - Compost! Building a better future, 6th-12th May
International Compost Awareness Week (ICAW) is the largest and most comprehensive education initiative of the compost industry. It is celebrated nationwide and in other countries each year during the first full week of May. It started in Canada in 1995, ICAW has continued to grow as more people, businesses, councils, schools and organisations are recognising the importance of composting and the long-term benefits from organics recycling. The theme for this year is Compost! Building a Better Future.
The ORG urge you to tell us about any events or initiatives you are holding to promote the use of compost locally in your community and we will be happy to include a write up in the next ORG magazine about them.
As a worldwide initiative, Canada continues to promote this annual event and details on their ideas for this year can be seen HERE
ICAW Australia is an initiative of the Centre for Organic Research & Education (CORE), a not-for-profit organisation conducting year-round organic research, education and awareness activities.
The USA also is active during this week with their aim to raise the awareness of the public regarding the benefits of using compost to improve or maintain high quality soil, to grow healthy plants, reduce the use of fertilizer and pesticides, improve water quality and protect the environment.
Below is a few of the things that are happening round the UK:
- Material Change offering free compost
- City of York discounted home compost bins
- Derry City & Strabane District Council - Free bagged compost for locals from food recycling
- South Northamptonshire - Enjoy the spoils of recycling Â free compost giveaway
- Bracknell Forest Council - re3grow compost is now on sale at the re3 Recycling Centres
- Wokingham Council - re3grow compost is now on sale at re3 Recycling Centres
- Newry and Mourne District Council - District-wide Compost Giveaway
- Derby City Council - Composting Â free bins for schools and community groups!
- Suffolk Coastal District Council - Free compost available
- Sunderland Council - Get composting!
- Leeds City Council - Mulch ado about rotting! Leeds residents encouraged to give composting a go for International Compost Week.
- Wealden District Council - Give composting a go
- Waveney District Council - Free compost available
- Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council - The Council is Celebrating Compost Week
- Mid & East Antrim Borough Council - WeÂre rooting for Mid and East AntrimÂs Compost Awareness Week
- East Riding of Yorkshire Council - Free compost giveaways for East Riding residents
- North West Leicestershire - Learn how to reduce waste and make compost at Coalville roadshows
- Hertsmere Borough Council - Spring into action for compost giveaway
- Fermanagh Council - Free home compost for residents
Become a Member!
Join the Organics Recycling Group at the Renewable Energy Association by clicking below.